"Gabrielle Holly spins her stories in a way that will take you on an emotional rollercoaster you'll never forget!"
~Paranormal Romance Junkies

Friday, June 29, 2012

Writing About Sex - Do Erotic Romance Authors Have More Fun?

     A male friend of mine asked if people (male people specifically) look at me differently when I tell them I write erotic romance. I suppose some do, but people who really know me are never too surprised. It's not because I constantly talk about sex, or act overtly sexual, or even dress particularly provocatively. I think it's because I've always done my own thing and never worried too much about what other people think. If something is right for me, it's right.

     That's not to say that I don't care about others' feelings. I do - probably to a fault, but their opinions of my personal choices matter very little to me. So, the idea that I'd choose to write in a genre that some people find shocking or scandalous neither shocks nor scandalizes the people who know and love me for who I am.

     The question remains, do they look at me differently? Maybe in the sense that they wonder how many of the things I write about I've actually done. Am I writing from personal experience? Do I think about sex around the clock? Am I an insatiable nymphomaniac?



     I wonder if anyone ever asks science fiction writers if they've actually traveled outside our solar system or interacted with aliens. My guess is they have not, but I'd be willing to bet they sure do dream about it ;-)



                                                                                  xoxo ~Gabrielle

I thought A LOT about sex when I wrote "Dressed for Success"! Pick it up today from Resplendence Publishing and find out just how hot sex can be with a Viking Warrior, a stagecoach bandit and a Scottish lord.

Sex was also on my mind when I wrote "Mr. Fix It"! It comes out Monday 7/23 and it's available for pre-order now from Total-E-Bound. Find out if Mr. Fix It has the right tool for the job.

2 comments:

  1. Good question Gabrielle :-) And how many Crime writers have ever gone out and committed a murder!

    Of course, being thought of as a sex goddess isn't such a bad thing huh?

    LOL

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maggie Nash, I'd be a sex goddess if I wrote appliance manuals ;-)

      Delete