"Gabrielle Holly spins her stories in a way that will take you on an emotional rollercoaster you'll never forget!"
~Paranormal Romance Junkies

Thursday, July 12, 2012

Listening to Your Characters – Following the Path of Least Resistance

I love spinning a yarn. Once I get the germ of an idea (usually in the shower, by the way) I can’t wait to sit down and start writing. The characters come to me like gregarious strangers. They’re more than willing to introduce themselves and give me a glimpse inside their noggins. We sit down, sometimes over coffee and sometimes over cocktails, and chat. They willingly tell me about the current drama in their lives and ask, would I mind terribly, jotting it down.
That’s the easy part.
As long as they’re affable strangers with the gift of gab, the words flow. It’s only when I start forcing their hand that things get dicey. I don’t want to imply that I do some kind of voodoo automatic writing inspired from outside myself. Writing is as much craft as it is art. A person can’t plow willy-nilly into a story and hope to emerge with a book.
Once I have a starting point, I loosely map out a course to the end. I only run into trouble when I unsheathe my machete and start hacking through the underbrush trying to find a shortcut to the destination. The best plan is to pack wisely and follow the locals, hollering if they get too far ahead.
I’m a night or two away from finishing the first draft on book two in my paranormal erotic romance series. I wrote the first sentence knowing my main characters, where they’d be hanging out, and basically what they’d be doing. Now as I’m closing in on the last sentence, I’m grateful for where those characters have taken me. They’ve led me down hidden paths I didn’t even know existed. These narrow trails didn’t require a machete – only an open mind.
I love these characters and I hope you will too. Book one in my paranormal erotic romance series will be out in November through Total-E-Bound and book two should follow a couple of months later.
In the meantime, I hope you’ll get to know some of my other new friends. Franny Campbell is a set- and costume-designer for television and stage productions. She has a very active imagination and her hot erotic fantasies most often star her upstairs neighbor, the extremely sexy ex-pro-jock Jesse Williams. Franny imagines him as a Viking warrior, a stagecoach bandit and a Scottish lord. Will Franny ever find out if real-life Jesse lives up to her fantasy lovers? Find out July 18th when her story, “Dressed for Success”, comes out at Resplendence Publishing.

A week later, Deena Stevens’ story comes out at Total-E-Bound. “Mr. Fix It” is a fun, funny, smokin’ hot read about quirky, curvy Deena and her surprising history with sexy handyman Bill. After their unexpected reunion, Bill promises to keep in touch with Deena. He shows up at her door and a night of incomparable passion leaves them both craving more.  When the neighborhood queen bee discovers their tryst she begins crafting a plan to destroy the new love affair and steal the sexy handyman for herself. Will Mr. Fix-It have what it takes to repair the damage? Find out July 23rd. Pre-order is available now!
Happy Trails, Darlings! 
xoxo ~Gabrielle

No comments:

Post a Comment