"Gabrielle Holly spins her stories in a way that will take you on an emotional rollercoaster you'll never forget!"
~Paranormal Romance Junkies

Thursday, October 25, 2012

Untangling My Web

It’s been cold and rainy here in the Midwest. My suburban property is a veritable forest and the wind has stripped the leaves from the trees. The raking has been put on hold until everything dries out. Good thing too. I’ve been plugging away at a number of indoor projects while I wait.
On Tuesday I completed the first draft on my sixth book and hope to have it edited and submitted by Halloween. It’s incubating at the moment. I need to let it marinate for a few days before I dive into edits. In the meantime, I decided to give my website a little facelift. The first incarnation of http://www.gabrielleholly.com/ was very… pink – a little too Pepto Bismol for my liking.
I started playing around with some photos I’d taken before the leaves fell. I have a show-stopping sugar maple in my backyard that turns a gorgeous blaze orange every fall. The original photos were pretty, but I couldn’t help but wonder what would happen if I ditched the color. Picassa’s free editing software made the whole process ridiculously simple. A couple of clicks and I had some stunning black-and-whites. The top banner on my webpages features a close-up of some of the branches and the background of my blog is a wider shot from beneath the tree’s canopy.
Once I had my images, I whipped up some navigation buttons (using PowerPoint of all things) then laid out my pages with another nifty bit of free software called NVu KompoZer. It helps to know a bit of HTML code to make it sing, but it’s nothing like the drudgery of old-fashioned web-building.
With pages now uploaded and broken links mended, I can’t think of a single thing to keep me from doing what I’m supposed to be doing… writing. Starting tomorrow morning, I’m going to hunker down and massage my Work in Progress into a novel. Alas, there is no software – free or otherwise – that will magically get me from first draft to completed manuscript. I can’t point-and-click away knotted character motivations and loose plot threads. I’ll have to plunge in and start weaving by hand.
While I’m wrestling this book into submission (that’s a pun for my editor friends), I hope you’ll take a stroll around my new site and, if you’re so inclined, drop me an email to let me know what you think.
Happy Surfing, Darlings!
xoxo ~Gabrielle

2 comments:

  1. Looks great, Gabrielle. :) Good luck wrestling that m/s. I bet you'll have no problem knocking it out. (puns are alive and well and truly awful)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well H.K.,
      All Hallows Eve is upon us and the WIP is still a WIP. I had to make a choice between doing it fast and doing it well. In the editing process, I realized some holes that needed mending - so mend I shall!
      xoxo ~Gabrielle

      Delete