"Gabrielle Holly spins her stories in a way that will take you on an emotional rollercoaster you'll never forget!"
~Paranormal Romance Junkies

Wednesday, November 21, 2012

Cranberry Sauce & Sexual Freedom

Happy Thanksgiving!
I have so much to be thankful for - a great family, wonderful friends and a career I love. As I was making a mental list of my blessings, I kept coming back to cranberry sauce…
I suppose it makes me some kind of gastronomic barbarian, but I so prefer jellied cranberry sauce to the whole-berry kind. I’m a bit of a foodie and I know I’m supposed to like the chunky stuff better, but I don’t.  There’s nothing like the plop of the jellied variety as it slithers out of the can and onto the serving plate. I love the slippery feel of it on my tongue and the way its tart sweetness compliments savory Thanksgiving dishes. I like to slice thick slabs of it for turkey-leftover sandwiches (add a layer of stuffing and I’m in heaven).
So why would I consider a simple side-dish preference to be something to be thankful for? Because we live in a time when it’s okay to like something even if you’re not supposed to. Not so long ago, women weren’t supposed to like sex, much less books that graphically depicted it. Romance novels – especially the erotic kind – were hidden in nightstand drawers. They were the dirty little secrets that one just didn’t discuss in polite company. The top of the bedside table was reserved for the highbrow books that everyone was reading – or at least said they were.
Now, not only is nearly everyone reading the naughty stuff, they’re talking about it with a new kind of freedom. Hang out in a pedicure chair or eavesdrop on a group of women out for cocktails and you’ll learn that some of them like their sex traditional, some a little kinky. Some want to be tied up, some dig getting spanked and some prefer to do the spanking. These acts have been going on among consenting adults for longer than any of us have been on this earth. And now it’s okay to admit it if it turns you on.
I’m not sure who or what to thank for bringing erotic romance out of the sock drawer and into the light, but I suspect there were a number of contributing factors. Certainly the 50 Shades of Grey trilogy helped mainstream the genre. The Kindle, Nook, and other e-readers took the embarrassment out of buying romance novels and made it possible to enjoy them in public without having to fold back the telltale covers. But I think it’s more than that. I think we’re all just a little less uptight about what we want and less judgmental about the preferences of others – at least I hope that’s the case.
Cranberry sauce comes in all sorts of varieties. So do books. So does sex. As long as you know what you want – and don’t hurt or take advantage of anyone else to get it – that’s something to be thankful for.
xoxo
~ Gabrielle

No comments:

Post a Comment