"Gabrielle Holly spins her stories in a way that will take you on an emotional rollercoaster you'll never forget!"
~Paranormal Romance Junkies

Monday, August 26, 2013

Getting Personal With Author Dakota Rebel



This week we’re Getting Personal With Author Dakota Rebel! Dakota talks about the writing life, reveals her ‘guilty pleasure’ and shares an excerpt from her M/M Paranormal Erotic Romance, “Kiss Me You Animal”!

About Dakota Rebel

Dakota Rebel lives in Detroit, Michigan with her husband Mr. Rebel and two incorrigible children, Jr. Rebel and Rebel Jr. 2.0.

Her friends are made up of the most amazing people on the planet. They not only accept her faults but often encourage them.

She smokes more than she should, drinks less than she’d like to, and is the life of any party that ends by 9 p.m. She adores her fans like nobody’s business and encourages them all to email her at dakota.rebel@hotmail.com.

Connect with Dakota


And now, let’s get personal with author Dakota Rebel!

What is the most challenging part of being a writer?
BLURBS. Oh my goodness, there is nothing quite like the nerve-wracking, hair-pulling agony of writing a blurb. How does one condense a novel of tens of thousands of words into one or two paragraphs? No really, how? I’m asking…nay, begging someone to explain this to me. I am extremely fortunate to have editors who excel at this task. I will babble for a few hundred words and then my most excellent editors will turn that drabble into something that makes people actually want to read my books. Blurb writing is an art form and it is a talent that I fear I lack. I have considered many times just hiring someone to write them for me. So far I haven’t bitten that bullet, but I can just tell the day will come where I throw up my hands in despair and just write someone a check. (Ok, send them money via PayPal, but that sounds so much less authoritative than good old fashioned check writing.)
  
What is your most current release and what is it about?
“Kiss Me You Animal” came out last month with Stiff Rain Press. The first in a series, Kiss Me You Animal is the story of a pair of brothers who, as far as the IRS is concerned, own a private investigation firm, but actually they are exterminators that hunt preternatural creatures. This book focuses on the relationship between the oldest brother, Cole, and his lover, Sebastian, a newly-infected were panther. This book has all of the big L’s: Love, Loss and Laughs. I’m very excited about this series and hope that my fans enjoy reading it as much as I enjoyed writing it.

How did you come up with this title?
I am a big fan of pulling from song lyrics. My first book was Sweet Dreams which was followed by Hello. (I still can’t think about that book without hearing Lionel Ritchie in my head.) This book was also taken from a song lyric. The next book in the series is tentatively titled Faster Pussy Cat, Kiss Kiss. But I’m not sure if I can get away with that one. *blinks We’ll see.

What are you working on now?
My fans will be delighted to hear that I am, finally, working on the sequel to To Hate and To Hold. Yes, Ethan and Jamie are coming back. It has been such a treat to revisit my old friends. I love all of my characters, but the men in this book will always hold a special place in my heart. I fell in love with them from the first line of their book and my infatuation has not ended. I don’t want to say how long it will be before the book is available, but I do want anyone who is interested to know that I am working on it and they will be seeing it soon.

What is your writing process?
I like to go weeks without writing a single word, then sit down and bust out 25k in a weekend. It drives my friends nuts. I can go months without touching a manuscript, then write the whole thing in less than a week. I don’t know why or how, but it’s how I’ve always written. I can’t just sit myself in a chair and make the words come. I have to be ‘inspired’ for lack of a better term. And when the scenes start in my head they just pour onto the keyboard. It is not a method I would recommend to anyone. It’s frustrating and not very conducive to writing as a career. You won’t get many books done if you just wait for it. But for me, it’s the only way I can work. So if anyone is wondering why there are always such long gaps between my book releases…there you go.

What do you like to do when you’re not writing?
I like to waste hours and hours on Pinterest. Seriously. I can lay in bed and watch Harry Potter movies and click “More Pins” all night. If someone would take my children on a vacation without me I could probably spend an entire weekend just doing that. I love recipes and humor and fashion and DIY/Crafts. People are so damned clever and I find myself constantly saying “Why didn’t I think of that?” The creation of Pinterest is the best/worst thing that has ever happened to the internet. It is addicting. I made it my home page and now there is no such thing as “Oh, I’m just going to check my email.” Nope. As soon as I open my browser I am assaulted with images of cakes, eCards and Jensen Ackles. Who cares about email at that point? That’s why I have an iPhone right? I can check my email later.

I would like to say, in defense of Pinterest that thanks to the tips I found and pinned to my fitness board, I have lost over 40 pounds. So there are definitely benefits to the site. I just couldn’t possibly tell you how many hours of productivity have been lost due to it.

What is your guilty pleasure?
I love spectacularly bad music. In fact, I just bought N’Sync’s greatest hits CD and I have been blaring it for days in my car. I also enjoy Britney Spears older stuff. There is a folk artist called Kimya Dawson that I adore. Her music is…different, but for some reason I love it. Also Gunter. Every Friday I force my coworkers to listen to The Ding Ding Dong song. If you have never heard it, go YouTube it. Right now. I’ll wait… Great Friday song right? Really gets you in the mood for the weekend. Ahh…good times.

What is your favorite food?
Banoffee Pie.

What is your favorite swear word?  
Cock Sucker.

What is your favorite beverage?
Iced Tea

What is your favorite beer?
Guinness

What is your biggest fear?
Spiders *Shudder

What is your favorite TV Show?
Buffy the Vampire Slayer and Downton Abbey

What is your favorite book?
Rather than just answer this outright, I’d like to share a conversation I recently had with my husband. He and his friend were all up in arms because Entertainment Weekly published a list of like the top 100 books of all time and they were pissed that the Harry Potter series was number 8. I sat him down and tried to explain to him why I was ok with that number. Now, I won’t say that these books are literary genius or anything. But I do say that they changed a generation of people. As stupid as that may sound, I honestly believe it. I am of the Harry Potter generation. I stood in line for hours on nights the new books were released. When Deathly Hallows came out, I sat in my car in the parking lot of Barnes and Noble and read the first three chapters until 3am. I couldn’t even wait to get home. They inspired kids to read at a level that challenged them. Kids who were too young to read for themselves were treated to nightly chapters read by their parents. Whole families would sit in a child’s room and share the stories night after night. Now that the series is finished, JK Rowling has created Pottermore which shares more information about the characters because we cannot let them go. It is the most FanFic’d storyline in the world with millions of tales woven from the plot lines she created. Years and years later, those of us who fell in love with the world of Harry Potter still cannot let it go. We get tattoos and read made up stories just so we can spend time with these people again. So do I believe that the series belongs that high on a list of the best books of all time? You’re damned right I do. And woe be the person who wants to argue the point with me.

So, that’s me, Dakota Rebel. It was lovely to have been a guest today. I really appreciate you having me over and sharing your readers with me. If anyone has any questions for me they are welcome to email me at Dakota(dot)rebel(at)Hotmail.com. Or leave comments on the post and I will answer you here.

Thank you again, this was a lot of fun.
XoXoXo
Dakota

Thank you, Dakota! Though I must admit, I had to look up Banoffee Pie… I had a foodgasm just reading the recipes! Speaking of things that turn us on, let’s check out an excerpt from Dakota’s latest erotic romance “Kiss Me You Animal”!


~~~~~

“Rise and shine!” Bryce yelled through my bedroom door.

I jumped, reaching for my gun before realizing what was going on. There was a weight on my chest and I’d been wrenched from the deepest sleep I’d gotten in months. It startled me enough to go for my weapon with my eyes still closed.

It only took a few seconds to realize that the pressure on me was Sebastian, who’d managed to wiggle himself almost completely on top of me in our sleep. I blinked against the sunlight filtering through the curtains and looked down to see him smiling up at me.

“Hey!” Bryce shouted. “Are you awake?”

“Yes!” I called back hoarsely. “We’ll be out in a minute.”

I heard him trudge down the hall and groaned as my head dropped back to the pillow. There was no way I was getting out bed yet. It was too nice to feel the naked heat of Sebastian’s torso against my skin. Hell, I could spend the rest of my life feeling like that and die blissfully happy. It was strange waking up next to someone, but it certainly didn’t suck.

“Good morning,” Sebastian said thickly with a yawn. “What time is it?”

“I don’t care,” I said, wrapping my arms around him and pulling him the rest of the way over my body. “Let’s just stay here today.”

He smiled and kissed me, the pressure of his lips on mine making my cock jump to attention. He cupped my chin with his hand as he probed my mouth open with his tongue and ground his hips against me.

Yeah, waking up like this was certainly better than pissing away a hard-on in the morning. Sebastian’s stubbled chin scraped against my cheek as he moved to deepen the kiss. I moaned into his mouth, wrapping my hands around his thighs and pulling them to make him straddle my lap. Our cocks rubbed against each other through the jeans we’d both fallen asleep in and the chafing was turning me on more than it was hurting.

“Cole!” Bryce’s voice through the door made me growl in frustration. He wasn’t going to let us have any privacy. I knew he’d keep coming back until we finally gave up and went out there.

“Son of a bitch,” I muttered as Sebastian sat up with a sigh. He’d apparently realized my brother’s intent also.

“We should get up,” Sebastian said sadly as he climbed off of me.

“We should lock Bryce in a closet until I’m done with you,” I growled. I reached for him but he stepped out of the way.

“How long do you think that could take?” he asked.

“I don’t know.” I shrugged. “But he’d probably die in there so I guess we’ll go.”

Sebastian smiled brightly and his face lit up, taking my breath away. His eyes narrowed questioningly at me as my expression must have changed.

“You are gorgeous,” I said stupidly. I climbed off the mattress and walked over to him, rubbing my palm across his cheek as I snaked my other arm around his waist to pull him close to me again.

He raised his face to mine and kissed me, our mouths gently parting against each other, tongues patiently swirling around one another’s. He was slightly shorter than me, enough that I had to tilt my head to lock fully on his lips.

His fingertips dug into my back, gripping me tightly as the kiss deepened, our bodies crushed together in the middle of the room. My cock started to grow again and I wasn’t sure how much more of this I could take before I had to have him again.

A firm knock on the door made me swear against Sebastian’s mouth. I put a finger against his lips as I pulled out of his arms. Walking to the bedside table, I grabbed my wallet, stomped over to turn the doorknob and threw the billfold at Bryce.

“Go get coffee. Take your time.” I slammed the door in his face and stalked back to Sebastian who was grinning in the middle of the room.

“Can I get a muffin?” Bryce yelled through the door.

“Go buy a fucking pony for all I care!” I shouted before grabbing Sebastian’s hand and yanking him toward the bed.
~~~~~

Like what you’ve read so far? Find out what happens next. Buy “Kiss Me You Animal” by Dakota Rebel at Stiff Rain Press, Amazon and other fine eBook retailers!

3 comments:

  1. I freaking love Dakota Rebel. I love her to pieces and beyond reason. And I'm beyond happy that the sequel to To Hate and to Hold is coming out.

    Great interview, ladies!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm also pretty much in love with Dakota!

      Delete
  2. Thank you so much for having me on the blog today. It was so great to talk to you and I hope everyone enjoys learning just a little bit more about little ol' me.

    ReplyDelete