"Gabrielle Holly spins her stories in a way that will take you on an emotional rollercoaster you'll never forget!"
~Paranormal Romance Junkies

Monday, September 23, 2013

Getting Personal With Author Ninette Swann



This week we’re Getting Personal With Author Ninette Swann. Ninette stopped by to talk about the writing life and share an excerpt from her action-packed contemporary romance “Memphis Nights.”

About Ninette Swann
When not writing her next romance, Ninette Swann spends her days rock-climbing and taming wild horses. Or not. You decide. Or ask her about it at ninette.swann@gmail.com.

She lives with her amazing husband and children in Florida…not to be confused with Miami, unfortunately.

Ninette loves to talk to her readers and can be found at
http://ninetteswann.com or @ninetteswann on Twitter.  

Connect with Ninette
Web

And now, let’s get personal with author Ninette Swann!

What’s the best part of being a writer?
The best part about being a writer, for me, is that it's fun. I can write anything I want (and I often do) from feminist screeds, to parenting essays, to romance novels, to literary works. Once I'm sitting at the keyboard, I am powerful. I can get a message across. And I love that. Freelancing also allows me to be my own boss, and I'm the best boss I ever had.

What’s the most challenging part of being a writer?
Not being heard. People (especially beginning writers) expect to write something and have people see it, and that's just not the case. The hardest work in writing is promoting that writing, getting it out there. You have to find the audience it's meant for, and you have to get the work to them without seeming like you're selling something or coming across as any of the following: smug, annoying, unsure of yourself, a know-it-all, ignorant, boring, pushy, and many other things. Getting just the right touch in promotions is the hardest part of writing for me.

What’s the most challenging part of writing erotic romance?
The sex scenes. According to reviews, I'm good at them, but I'm a plot and character based writer, and detailing sex scenes always seems to get in the way for me, dragging the storyline down. Thankfully the readers don't think so.

What is your writing process?
All I do is write. I put it on my to-do list and attempt to get a few projects worked on a day. Since the fall semester started (I'm in grad school), I've been unable to be very productive. However, over the summer I managed to publish numerous places. I do well with deadlines, too. For my last book (Direct Contact, which people seem to like the best of my books) I wrote the last 17,000 words in three days.

Where do you write?
I have a little office nook in my living room I usually use. I used to do it at Starbucks, but I haven't had time to get down there and get settled lately. Right now, I write a few sentences, then am called away to real life, then write a few more sentences, then real life, etc. It's not an easy route, but I'm making it work.

What are you working on now?
In terms of romance, I have a m/m holiday book I'm writing, and I'm reworking a ménage spy thriller I wrote a few years ago, trying to get it into a bigger market.

What is your most current release and what is it about?
The book that just released, Memphis Nights, is about a bounty hunter who lost both her parents at a really young age. She's attempting to scope out a possible jumper when she realizes the man is abusing one of her acquaintances and things get personal. Along the way, she reluctantly joins forces with a cop (she hates the police), and they end up working together to keep her friend safe from the antagonist. It's a fast-paced, cute read, if I do say so myself.

 

We're so glad you stopped by, Ninette! I love a smart, strong, sexy heroine and Aster Dunn is all those things! Thanks for sharing this great excerpt from “Memphis Nights”



~~~~~ 



Sweat inched its way down Aster’s back as she crouched behind a pile of half-empty crates in an alley just west of the train tracks. She knew her target would be coming out of the back door of the seedy bar any minute now. If she could just stay still under the hot August sun, she’d have a chance at surprising him as he made his way to that train.
In her business, surprise was all she had. That and the street-fighting skills she had honed over the past six years after a fugitive from the law had shot her father in front of her teenage eyes right in their own backyard. He’d found them all the way out in the sticks where her dad had been on the police force before striking off on his own after her mother had died at the hands of a convict. She shivered in spite of the heat, the memories running over her like a cold wave of water, just as her feelings at the time had rendered her mute and unable to think or move.
Her neighbors had heard the shot and called the law enforcement, though. After that it had been a whirlwind of identification, lineups, trials. Most kids got to wait until they’d graduated high school to become an adult. Aster was on her own at only fifteen.
But she was no longer that child. Now, at twenty-one, and with no formal schooling after dropping out of high school, she had worked her way up the chain as one of Tennessee’s most feared bounty hunters. She worked alone. She took no precautions. Life meant nothing to her, which was what made her so dangerous. That and her childlike looks—big brown eyes, plump cheeks and a choppy, short haircut made her look more as if she were meant for an overcrowded coffee shop than the hot, dark streets of Memphis. She stood out a bit in Collierville, but visited the city enough so that she didn’t feel too out of place. Hell, most of her catches came from there. Even in a town with forty thousand residents, she found more action in Memphis, a half hour northwest.
Still, this little nightclub seemed to be a melting pot for thugs who couldn’t quite make it in a bigger, faster-paced location. Collierville’s own little crime-fest. Aster ran her hand over the top of her thigh under her mini skirt, checking to make sure her knife was in place. Bill McCrane might not be the man who shot her father, but to Aster, they were all the same. All ruthless, immoral killers who deserved whatever she could dish out before she returned them to the law.
Her cropped locks fell over her forehead as she repositioned her legs, praying they wouldn’t fall asleep. Just a few more moments now. She brushed her hair back with annoyance, and McCrane chose that instant to burst out of the doorway.
“Fuck you, man,” he shouted in a belligerent tone to someone standing just inside. Whomever he was yelling at was out of sight. “I didn’t need that fifth drink anyway. I’ve got a damn train to catch.”
She smiled to herself. The drunken ones were always the easiest. McCrane plodded toward her, his sloppy flannel shirt falling off one shoulder as he tottered a bit. She considered jumping him and making it quick, but her thirst for revenge called to her. Her fifteen-year-old self still craved justice.
She remembered the criminal’s steely look as the smoking gun swung toward her. “You’re next, sweetheart,” he had said, but something had spooked him before he got that shot off, and he’d run.
These days, Aster loved to knock an asshole down after playing damsel in distress. She had a feeling McCrane would bend over her fallen frame and stick his ugly mug right in her face. A swift kick, an arm-wrench flip from there, and she’d have her man.
McCrane was ten paces away now, and Aster didn’t have much time. She thrust her legs out from under her and let out a loud, feminine groan—the kind that said “I’m completely helpless” without saying a word.
Just as she suspected, the lout quickened his steps and was breathing whiskey in her face before she could even issue her follow-up whimper.
She opened her eyes as wide as she could.
“Please, mister,” she whispered, “I think I’ve broken my ankle. Can you help me?”

 ~~~~~

Like what you’ve read so far? Find out what happens next. Buy “Memphis Nights” today from Resplendence Publishing.

No comments:

Post a Comment