"Gabrielle Holly spins her stories in a way that will take you on an emotional rollercoaster you'll never forget!"
~Paranormal Romance Junkies

Wednesday, September 25, 2013

What If? ... Ask the Question. Write the Answer.

I try not to spend too much time looking in the rear-view mirror. It's far too easy to beat ourselves up over should-haves, could-haves, would-haves. Who among us hasn't wondered how things might have been different, if only...?

That said, my job is to ask, "What if?"

What if? Is the basis for every book I've ever written:


I'd already sold Dressed for Success and Mr. Fix It and was trying to figure out my next move when I found a coffee-stained note tacked to the bulletin board over my desk. 
 
It had been hanging there amid a jumble of  other random jottings, newspaper clippings, and images torn from magazines... for nearly EIGHT years.

That germ of an idea became "Soldier of Love" and was picked up by London publisher, Total-e-Bound. The editor liked it so well, she asked if I thought I could build a series around the main character - smart-mouthed, reluctant psychic medium, Toni Bianchi.

I could. And I did.

Writing about Toni, her ghosts, and the members of the television ghost-hunting show Paranormal Research Team, was a wonderful experience. 


The three books in the Ghost Encounters series were born of a single random musing jotted on an old, coffee-stained slip of paper.

I'm incredibly grateful that I'd kept the ragged little note that posed such a weird "What if?" Pondering that question changed everything. 

The moral of the story? Ask "What if?" then have the guts to answer the question.

Happy Writing -- and Reading -- Darlings!

xoxo
~Gabrielle

No comments:

Post a Comment