"Gabrielle Holly spins her stories in a way that will take you on an emotional rollercoaster you'll never forget!"
~Paranormal Romance Junkies

Monday, December 30, 2013

Getting Personal With Author Cris Anson



This week we’re Getting Personal with Author Cris Anson. Cris stopped by to talk about the writing life and share an HOT excerpt from her novel Mercy and Redemption.

We’re so thrilled to congratulate Cris on the recent paperback release of this great ménage romance!

About Cris Anson
I write erotic romance because I firmly believe that life doesn't stop at the bedroom door. I had a deeply romantic relationship with my husband, and I want to celebrate his memory in my writing. After he died, it took me a long time to come out of my grief, but parts of him -- his honor, courage, optimism, tenacity, and lust for life -- live on in all my heroes.

And I write erotic romance because I feel you're never too old to give or receive love. My books have taken a decided turn into BDSM and I'm enjoying the research way too much. As well, many of my stories have older heroines who dazzle younger men, and I wouldn't mind being such a heroine in real life. But that's another story...

Connect with Cris

And now, let’s get personal with author Cris Anson

What’s the most challenging part of writing erotic romance?
Finding new ways to express not only love, but lust. Putting part A into slot 1 can get boring. Even putting parts A, B and C into slots 1, 2, and 3…well, you know, ménages. You have to concentrate on the emotions, not the actions. But when I’m done and reread it, sometimes I have to say “Phew, that’s hot!”

Where do you write?
I’m lucky enough to have a small room to devote to my writing. Good thing, because I have two printers (laser and color) and a label printer, lots of bookshelves and several filing cabinets. And a desk that I’ve yet to see the surface of, it’s so cluttered with images and ideas and paperwork of all sorts. Hey, I’ve been writing for more than 20 years; one accumulates a lot of “stuff” over time.

What’s the best piece of advice you’ve ever gotten?
Don’t ever give up. Imagine if that soda inventor had stopped at 6-Up. Or Stephen King, who got so frustrated at not being able to sell “Carrie” that he tossed the manuscript in the trash (his wife rescued it). If you keep writing, keep learning your craft, you will succeed. Don’t give up in life, either. If you’re stuck with some lemons, you know what to do: make lemonade. I’ve buried two husbands I loved, and I’m still open to the idea of loving again. Life is a banquet; sample it, taste it, enjoy it, gorge on it. And make lemonade.

What is your most current/upcoming release and what is it about?
Hooray, I just sent my fourteenth book, REDEMPTION AND GLORY, to my editor. It’s the third in my MERCY series. The first book, PUNISHMENT AND MERCY, showcased a wanton widow from 1694 Massachusetts Bay Colony and her two loves: the blacksmith her father forced her to marry and his young apprentice.

In book #2, MERCY AND REDEMPTION, a woman and two men meet in the ancient cemetery where the old lovers are buried and realize they’d known each other in a previous life; they have to work through some unresolved issues from 300 years ago. Not to make a spoiler of it, but only one hero gets his happy ending. MERCY AND REDEMPTION, which has been out in electronic format since January, is a finalist in the 2014 EPIC eBook Awards Erotica category. By the way, it was just released as a paperback on December 23. Wonderful Christmas present for me!

The new book, tentatively titled REDEMPTION AND GLORY, follows the other hero, who is captivated by Mistress Glory as she flogs a male submissive in a BDSM dungeon. This one was by far the most fun to write because I had to do a lot of hands-on research *grin*. Three-quarters of the way through the book I still had no idea which one of them would wind up “on top”. But the characters made the decision for me.

What would readers be surprised to know about you?
I’m really quite shy with strangers. And believe me, it was difficult to start conversations in a roomful of BDSM practitioners when you’ve just entered all alone. It’s only when I put on my “Cris Anson, Erotic Romance Author” hat that I’m able to go forth and be daring and sexy (well, as sexy as a 60+ year-old can be).

What’s your ‘guilty pleasure’?
Moonstruck chocolate truffles. They are expensive (around $40 a pound!) so I splurge every Christmas with a two-pound box of 40 pieces that never seems to last more than a couple of weeks. They are the yummiest chocolates I’ve ever tasted.

What do you like to do when you’re not writing?
Read, of course. Plus tend my garden, walk in the woods, play the piano, listen to classical music, dance like no one’s watching, conquer the New York Times Sunday Crossword Puzzle, lurk on FetLife and FaceBook. I’d love to find a companion to go RVing with to some of our nation’s beautiful natural treasures. Oh, and do more hands-on research at BDSM dungeons, for sure.

Favorite swear word?
*sigh* Fuck

Favorite food?
Chocolate. Okay, if you want a healthy one, corn, fresh-picked and still on the ear. Or wait, a juicy, ripe sun-warm Ramapo tomato just picked from my own garden.

Favorite book?
Too many to enumerate.

Favorite author?
Joey W. Hill, Desiree Holt, Kathy Kulig and Samantha Cayto, all of whom write in the BDSM genre.

What’s one writers’ conference that you consider a “don’t miss”?
Actually I have two of them. The first is, no question, Romanticon™, which is Ellora’s Cave’s gathering of authors and readers and gorgeous CAVEMEN! Seriously, this is like a family reunion, and even if it’s your first time, you’re instantly made to feel like you belong. Everyone there talks about sex and erotic romance and writing and Cavemen and, oh, did I mention sex? This is not a “how to write” conference; it’s more of, what fun can we have with naughty overtones? The 2014 conference will again be in Canton, Ohio (we take over the entire hotel!) over Columbus Day weekend, October 9-12. Don’t miss it!

The other is world-renowned Sexologist Dr. Charley Ferrer’s BDSM Conference for Writers and Readers. This year it’s August 21-24 and dozens of erotic romance authors as well as lifestyle practitioners are scheduled to give workshops. A little horn-tooting here: I’ll be on a two-part panel with those four BDSM authors I mentioned above. The curriculum will include a visit to a private dungeon, to participate if so desired, or just to watch. Two years ago I ventured to New York City for the first conference and it opened my eyes to the Lifestyle. Not only has my writing become more authentic and emotional because of my research, but my personal life has followed a similar track. The people in the BDSM lifestyle are warm and welcoming and non-judgmental—and it’s fun to participate in floggings, spankings, Violet Wand play and some of the other quirky things I’ve learned about. You can read about many of my BDSM experiences on my blog, Cris Anson’s Passions. Here’s a link to my most-often-read blog, “Getting Naked at Paddles”, the longest-running BDSM dungeon in New York City.
  

Thank Cris! I’ll be popping over to the Moonstruck site to order up some chocolate truffles. I shall savor them while reading your latest sexy-sweet book!  

And now, Darlings, pour yourself something cool to drink and enjoy a taste of “Mercy and Redemption”

About "Mercy and Redemption"
Although this book is a standalone, Ellora's Cave recommends reading "Punishment and Mercy" first.

While searching an old cemetery for likely gravestones to illustrate her colonial cookbook, Mercy Howe meets two hunks who are tracing their ancestry, and sparks fly. Literally.

When Mercy casually touches Seth and Adam, her vividly erotic vision involving all three of them feels like a memory, not a dream, and awakens long-dormant sexual urges. Their kisses are achingly familiar, and she welcomes each in turn into her body. Then she spends a no-holds-barred weekend with both men in her bed and discovers an intimacy—and a past—that blows her mind.

As memories resurface from three hundred years ago, Mercy will have to choose whether to relive the experiences from their joint past or forge a new bond with either Seth or Adam. Or both.

Inside Scoop: Contains m/f/m and mild m/m and one doubly satisfied heroine!

http://www.ellorascave.com/mercy-and-redemption.html


This excerpt from MERCY AND REDEMPTION features Mercy with Adam. It is a little more X-rated than the excerpt (with Seth) posted at Ellora’s Cave and the other vendors' sites. But it's still not the hottest scene; just wait until Mercy gets both of them in her bed at the same time!

Copyright © CRIS ANSON, 2013
All Rights Reserved, Ellora's Cave Publishing, Inc.

“Step out,” he ordered softly. She did, taking his proffered hand for balance, and he scooped up the dress to place it with care on a nearby dresser. He turned to study her for a long moment, at last blowing out a long breath, almost like a whistle. “Lady, what you do to my blood pressure. The sight of you in those scraps of lace makes me weak.”

They were mere scraps, she thought idly, the silk-and-lace bra artfully constructed to lift her breasts and offer cleavage, the panties with their black triangles and half-inch-wide elastic covering just enough to play peekaboo with total nudity. Having him standing before her in his Italian suit while she was thus exposed gave her a decadent thrill. She could feel her panties becoming saturated.

“Take your hair down.” It was a mere rasp, as though he had not nearly enough air to speak.

With a sultry smile, she raised her arms and began to pull out the myriad pins the hairdresser had inserted so artfully this morning. The mass of hair cascaded down to her shoulders as she withdrew pin after pin and placed them in his outstretched palm. In the back of her mind, this too felt like something she’d done before.

He laid the pile of pins on the bedside table, the metallic tinkle pleasant in the silence of their mutual haze. Then he lifted his arms to run his hands through the disheveled mass of her hair, rubbing the strands between his thumb and fingers.

“Don’t move.”

As if she could, with him devouring her like that with his eyes. As if she could move away from her Adam, from the joy and ecstasy she knew he could provide.

Lowering his arms from her hair, he stretched one hand out, touched her clavicle with one finger, traced a trail down the center of one breast. He deliberately scraped her nipple with a fingernail, then moved on a slight diagonal, down and down to the damp triangle of her sex, sliding the finger across her plump and aching lips and down her opposite thigh, knee, calf, ending at the tip of her stiletto.

On his knees, he looked up at her, his pupils overtaking the green of his eyes until only a thin line of color remained, lust painting his face as his finger retraced its trip until it reached her panties.

“There,” he said, gently probing between her legs. “What do you think I should do right…there?”

She shuddered. “Adam,” she said faintly. “You know what to do.”

He smiled a wolfish smile. “I surely do, darlin’, but I want to know what you want me to do.”

He’d done this before, she remembered, once he’d been sure of her love. He would tease her until she’d had to beg for what she wanted, had to say the words that had made her blush until her dying day, although speaking the words had heightened her lust rather than diminished it.

“Fuck me, Adam. I want you to fuck me. Hard. The way only you can.”

In a blur of seconds, Adam stripped naked, his own clothes tossed helter-skelter, then tugged the flimsy waistband of her panties and let them slide down and dangle from one foot. He tossed her onto the bed, shoes and bra still intact. Quickly he sheathed himself and mounted her, grabbing her by the thighs, shoving her legs up so her knees nearly touched her shoulders.

“You want hard, baby? You got it.” He plunged into her in one long, hard stroke, barely giving her a glimpse of his long, thick cock before it disappeared into her. True to his word, he thrust with the power of a jackhammer, stabbing in and out with a quick, harsh rhythm that brought her to a sudden, devastating climax.

“Adam!” In that instant of sheer ecstasy, with him still slamming into her, she saw all the years they’d shared, all the orgasms they’d given each other, the dreams that were really memories, the harsh conditions of living in the days before there was a United States of America.

She fainted.

~~~~~
Like what you’ve read so far? Find out what happens next. Buy Mercy & Redemption today from Ellora’s Cave, Amazon, Barnes & Noble and other fine retailers
~~~~~


19 comments:

  1. Thanks for inviting me over for a visit, Gabrielle. Those were some fun questions to answer! Hope you have a terrific 2014!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We love having you here at Gabrielle Holly Romance! Come back any time, Cris ♥

      Delete
  2. Such an informative post, Cris and just have to applaud your fortitude at just plunging into everything so wholeheartedly. Have to agree, as well, on the benefits of the wonderful Dr. Charley Ferrer's Conference. I am looking forward to this year's expanded version myself. Likewise, I agree 100% - it's always about the emotion, no matter how hot you write! And you DO write hot!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the compliment, Lise. I look forward to seeing you in August. This year we have over 40-hours of workshops and LIVE Demos. Two tracks, one for writers and one for readers thought all workshops are packed full of information for everyone. I wish I could clone myself so I can attend them all. smiles.

      Gabrielle, I hope you'll be able to join us.

      Live with passion,

      Doctor Charley
      www.bdsmwriterscon.com

      Delete
    2. Thanks, Lise! I try to make sure my characters enjoy the heat :-)

      Delete
  3. Hi all. What a great blog interview, Cris. I am humbled that you've placed my event, BDSM WRITERS CON as one of the two must attend conferences for 2014. I'm so pleased you'll be attending again--that's three years in a row. It shows your dedication to your craft and to your fans that you keep researching and learning to ensure you write authentically and respectfully in this uniquely erotic and often misrepresentation lifestyle. You can never have too much research in this area. smiles.

    I'm also thrilled that for BDSM WRITERS CON 2014 you'll be teaching a workshop or two. People can review your workshop here: http://bdsmwriterscon.com/workshops/be-careful-or-youll-end-up-in-my-novel

    And thought the name may be a little misleading, BDSM WRITERS CON is for everyone interested in writing about or exploring the world of Dominance and submission. A place where readers and authors can mingle and learn. Plus this year we're sponsoring a BDSM book contest and the prizes are actual book contracts from publishers Decadent Publishing, Total eBound, and The Wild Rose Press.

    Always a thrill to read your blogs. Thanks Gabrielle for hosting a wonderful author. Look forward to what 2014 brings.

    Live with passion,

    Doctor Charley...
    www.bdsmwriterscon.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Happy New Year to you Doctor Charley! ♥

      Delete
    2. Really looking forward to the conference, Dr. Charley!

      Delete
  4. LOL fuck is my favorite swear word too. Kinda gets the point across. ;o)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great interview. I love hearing from Cris because she keeps me informed and thinking. Her books are hot but she's one who never gives up. Can I be her when I grow up? Congrats on your print release. That's the most wonderful news!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the kind words, Melissa. Happy New Year to you and to everyone who posted.

      Delete
  6. Great interview, Cris. Thank you for the mention too. :-) If you have that passion for writing, you won't give up, you can't give up, and that passion will show in your books. Yours does. And I can't wait for the BDSM con in Aug. It's going to be great fun.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the kind words, Kathy. I love your books and I'm honored to be on a panel with you.

      Delete
  7. F#ck is my favorite swear word too! LOL
    You rock, Cris. You live life to the fullest. Congrats on the new print release.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've got to try those chocolates, lol. You're always fun, Cris. And age has nothing to do with sexy, lady. I'm sure you absolutely rock and have turned the head of a cover model or two. Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ya know, I rave about them so often that I wonder if Moonstruck will give me a discount on my next order. Thanks for your support, Joanna.

      Delete
  9. Chocolate is good...and wishing you the best in your writing, and everything else in 2014...

    Cheers,
    Alan.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks, Alan, and Happy New Year to you and your writing as well.

    ReplyDelete