"Gabrielle Holly spins her stories in a way that will take you on an emotional rollercoaster you'll never forget!"
~Paranormal Romance Junkies

Monday, January 27, 2014

Getting Personal With Author Angela Claire



This week we’re Getting Personal with Author Angela Claire. Angela stopped by to talk about the writing life and share an excerpt from her sexy, suspenseful erotic romance, Executive Perks.

About Angela Claire 
Angela Claire's first love was romance novels, but she resolved to give them up temporarily for law books (which were considerably less fun).  In a quest for a 'responsible' career, she headed off to Harvard law school, obtained her diploma and settled into a corporate law practice in New York city... which she hated! 

After staying in the rat race long enough to pay back her massive student loans, Angela returned to her roots in the Midwest and is now raising two active boys and working as a lawyer at a more leisurely pace than big city law firm life would allow.  She writes in her spare time and finds romance in real life with her husband of 27 years.

Connect with Angela
Web

And now, let’s get personal with author Angela Claire!

What’s the best part of being a writer?
Actually sitting down and writing. Maybe because I only do it part-time so far, but I just love to work on a story, especially the dialogue. I love to write in different time periods and genres too. I have a series of Western romances taking place in the nineteenth century at Siren Bookstrand and quite a few contemporary romantic suspense novels at Ellora’s Cave and then a time traveling one at Musa. So I get around!

What’s the most challenging part of being a writer?
Trying to support yourself on what you make! I haven’t managed to figure out how to do that yet!

What’s the most challenging part of writing erotic romance?
Mmmm…I don’t find it hard to write erotic scenes at all. (I don’t know what that says about me, but there you have it!) I actually love to write those scenes, unless I’m writing too many in a row and then it can get kind of stale. I had a reviewer once say about one of my books (Undercover Surrender) that even though the sex was plain vanilla, it was so well written it felt kinky. I loved that comment! Because the truth is all of my romances are M/F (except one M/M I wrote that was so hard for me to do that I’ll probably never write one again) and there’s only so much you can do with one guy and one girl! But I do try to keep the tension and the excitement there. And I figure I never got sick of reading romances, so I’ll probably never get sick of writing them. Really, the most challenging part of being an erotic writer is having people you know read your books. 

What is your writing process?
I am seat of the pants all the way and character driven. I think up the main characters (who they are, what’s interesting about them) and then I shape the story around them.

Where do you write?
I write in a little room that looks out on to the lake we live on. I just curl up on the couch and put the computer on my knees and go to it. And if I ever get stuck, I look out the window.

What is your upcoming release and what is it about?
I wrote a short “Flirt” for Entangled Publishing that I just signed the contract on. It’s about a woman who goes to NY on business and has a fling with the guy in the hotel suite next to her. It’s a light-hearted sexy little story and I’m looking forward to having it out, either in the spring or summer.

What’s your ‘guilty pleasure’?
Writing erotic romance novels! I’m a staid lawyer in real life and whenever anybody first finds out about my books, they’re shocked.

Thanks for having me!
 
Thank YOU, Angela!

And now, Darlings, kick off your heels and enjoy a taste of Executive Perks.

About Executive Perks
Virginia Beckett had always known she’d run the family business. Ivy League degrees and a flawless pedigree prepared her for it. So when businessman Aaron Winston buys a stake in her company and threatens to launch a takeover, she plans to fight him off with every Wall Street lawyer she can buy. Fight his corporate advances, that is. His personal ones, she’s not so sure about.

Aaron Winston plays hardball. How else could an orphan from the Bronx end up with a successful business and boast-worthy bank account? He doesn’t plan on letting one corporate princess’s disdain for his methods get in the way of the deal, no matter how sexy she is. Although he wouldn’t mind removing that silver spoon and putting her luscious mouth to better use.

When a dead body ups the ante in their corporate war, Aaron and Virginia join forces in a trek that leads the unlikely lovers from fast-paced Manhattan to bucolic Connecticut to an isolated island off the coast of Oregon. Through it all, they learn nothing is more deadly than desire.

http://www.ellorascave.com/executive-perks.html 

Clutching her can of cola as if it might prove to be some kind of weapon, Virginia Beckett looked royally pissed off. It didn’t exactly surprise him. Most of his targets were at first. So he knew that he should stay away from her for now and let her cool off. No good could come out of any one-on-ones between them at this point. But when he’d recognized her in the cafeteria, it had seemed like fate and he hadn’t been able to resist approaching her. For one thing, he was surprised by how sexy she was in person, with dark blonde hair and big gray-blue eyes, not to mention a killer body. Full, high tits with mile-long legs. They didn’t capture that kind of detail on the cover of Fortune. It made him half regret they weren’t meeting under friendlier circumstances.

Unfortunately, he’d already dropped a hefty amount into her company and wasn’t willing to kiss off the investment just yet. He knew what he should do was present her with the solution he had come up with, or march back to the conference room and present it to her and her lawyer. But he couldn’t resist teasing her first. Something about the uptight corporate exec vibe she was giving off made him want to for some reason.

“Any price?”

Virginia visibly relaxed, smiling smugly, and stood her ground, no longer inching away from him. “Greenmail is a dirty word these days,” she said, referring to the practice of certain corporate raiders of threatening to take over a company to extract a bribe from management to go away. “Just be careful not to get too greedy.”

Aaron flashed a gaze down her body, the gray silk snug against her tiny waist and the high curve of her breasts hidden by the demure neckline.

How about fucking you? Is that too greedy?


For one terrified second, he was afraid he had uttered the crude, completely inappropriate words out loud. He froze.

Since he was still standing and hadn’t been belted one, he assumed he hadn’t.

Instead he said, “You seem pretty fond of BFD and I’m going to assume it’s not for the same reason most CEOs cling to their jobs, namely for the fat pay packages and petty little fiefdoms.”

“For the sake of the civility of our negotiations, I’m going to pretend that you didn’t say that,” she murmured icily.

For half a second, he was tempted to say, “Good, then you can pretend that I didn’t do this either.”

He’d place his hands on her shoulders and gently nudge her back against the soda machine, then close the space between their bodies, feeling the luscious length of her against him, and before she could react, he’d kiss her lightly, his tongue tracing her soft, surprised mouth. The can she had been clutching would drop with a clatter to the floor and he’d move his hand down to her ass.

That’s when the slap would undoubtedly come, probably as hard as she could possibly make it, given her mood.

It would almost be worth it, though.

He cut short his daydream and smiled faintly. Smutty fantasies usually didn’t overtake him in the presence of business associates, not to mention about them. He chalked it up to surprise at how attractive she was.

“You didn’t hear me out. I said I’m assuming you’re not clinging to the independence of your company for those reasons. I’m assuming you have some kind of sentimental attachment because your family founded the company.”

“I wouldn’t call it sentimental. I’d call it a sense of value, of purpose, that you, with all your voracious gobbling up of companies, could never understand.”

“Whatever. I wouldn’t want to interfere with that. What I’m trying to say here is that I’ve thought about how we could make this a win-win situation and I’m willing to have you stay on as CEO of BFD. That’s a concession I almost never make. And if you agree to the merger to make BFD a subsidiary of Winston Enterprises, I’d be willing to give you an ownership stake in Winston as well as a hefty cash payment. Maybe even an operating role in the bigger company if it works out.”

“My, my, be still, my heart.”

He didn’t know what he’d expected, but she hadn’t even thought about it. In his book, that intransigence made her less than the businesswoman he’d thought she was. He found himself feeling a little less warm toward her.

“Again, no thanks, Mr. Winston. I meant what I said. BFD is my family’s company. It’s the only one I’m interested in running and I’m not interested in running it with any interference from any parent company or from you. If I don’t want you as a stockholder, what makes you think I’d want you as a boss?”

“As long as you make your numbers, you wouldn’t have any interference from me.”

“It’s all about the bottom line with somebody like you, isn’t it, Mr. Winston? Not people, not heritage—”

This was rapidly getting more heated than he’d intended. He didn’t back down from the argument, though. He rarely did. He was glad a quick glance around confirmed the cafeteria was empty. “I don’t know what people you’re talking about, but if you mean stockholders, mine are damn happy, thank you. And no, I don’t have a heritage to worry about. I made what I have. I didn’t inherit it.”

“Stole what you have, you mean,” she muttered, but loud enough for him to hear it.

“Fuck you.”

It just slipped out. Forget about smutty daydreams. She had managed to make him drop his cardinal rule of staying calm in initial meetings with a target, never losing his temper. But the thought that this corporate princess with all her family money was judging him and his methods unexpectedly infuriated him. Maybe he wasn’t as squeaky clean as she thought she was, but he’d done what he had to. Done things she’d never even imagine dirtying her hands with.

She popped open her Diet Coke and took a sip. “No thanks to that either.”

“Don’t be so hasty.”

~~~~~
Like what you’ve read so far? Find out what happens next. Buy Executive Perks today from Ellora’s Cave, Amazon, Barnes & Noble and other fine eBook retailers
~~~~~


No comments:

Post a Comment