"Gabrielle Holly spins her stories in a way that will take you on an emotional rollercoaster you'll never forget!"
~Paranormal Romance Junkies

Monday, February 17, 2014

Getting Personal With Author Chandra Ryan



This week we’re Getting Personal with Author Chandra Ryan. Chandra stopped by to talk about the writing life and share an excerpt from her new male/male sci-fi romance, Extreme Circumstances, Book 3 in the Universal Defiance series.

About Chandra Ryan 
Being from a rather nomadic family, Chandra Ryan loves to travel and meet people. But she's found that sometimes, like when you're stuck inside because of a good old-fashioned Southwestern heat wave, you have to make do. Fortunately for her and her loving family, who don't like seeing her suffer from cabin fever, she's found creating new people and places equally as fascinating. Also, you're a lot less likely to spill your ice tea.


Connect with Chandra
Web

And now, let’s get personal with author Chandra Ryan!

What’s the best part of being a writer?
I get to decide what happens to people and how and when the story ends. If I don’t like someone I can kill them off without any consequence. And there’s always time for me to think up the perfect retort. Not that I’m a control freak or anything.

What’s the most challenging part of being a writer?
I’m a pantser. I write by the seat of my pants. So much so that I recently decided I needed a whole other book smack dab in the middle of a series I’d already contracted. So I had to put everything else on hold and write that book. That’s the most challenging thing for me. Seeing far enough ahead in the future to make plans so I’m not rushing like a crazy person to make deadlines.

What’s the most challenging part of writing erotic romance?
I always swore I’d never write anything I was embarrassed by. So I’ve made my pen name very clear to everyone I’m friends with and everyone on my personal Facebook page. A lot of those people are people I went to high school with. I think this is the point of the interview where I should tell you that I grew up in a tiny town in the Mid-West. Knowing that they’re all reading the scorching sex scenes and most likely judging me can be difficult at times.

What is your writing process?
I find that if I have a word count goal each day that works out best for me. I usually start out in the morning wanting to write about a thousand words. After lunch I try for a thousand more. And if at all possible, I love to get in a final thousand before my husband gets home.

Where do you write?
On my couch in my front room. I know, it’s horrible for my posture. But I haven’t found any other place that works as well. I usually turn on a music channel on my TV and just write.

What’s the best piece of advice you’ve ever gotten?
Surround yourself by positive people. It’s a rough industry. There will be times that you need to vent and times when you feel discouraged. You need to have people around you who will listen but who will support you when you’re ready to dust yourself off and get back on that horse.

What are you working on now?
I just finished writing the fifth story in the Universal Defiance series today! Yay! Subservience follows a woman, Harlow, who was created by a geneticist to be telepathic. Since she wasn’t born, her struggles are unique. She’s more property than person. And as a captain of a military prison transport ship, she’s placed in harms way regularly. Thankfully her new XO, Parker, sees her as all woman. And when everything goes to hell, he makes sure somebody is watching her back.

What is your current release and what is it about?
Extreme Circumstances just released in January and I’m super excited about it. It’s my first male/male romance. It’s also the story I had to put everything else on hold to write. Extreme Circumstances is the story of two genetically enhanced soldiers, Julian and Gates, who are dropped off on dangerous planet. They have to complete their mission while fighting off the indigenous life forms to stay alive.

How did you come up with the title?
Extreme Circumstances? I came up with that one because Julian and Gates have to survive some pretty intense situations to find their happily ever after. They are put through extreme circumstances during the mission.

What would readers be surprised to know about you?
I don’t know. I’m pretty open about my life on social networking. Hmmm…. I guess most people might be surprised to find out I have really bad social anxiety. Like full blown panic attacks. My good friends know and they’re fantastic about it. I’ll just be in mid-sentence and my brain will shut off. I’m like, “That’s all I got tonight.”

What’s your ‘guilty pleasure’?
Oh my god, cheese! Queso, cheesecake, pizza, lasagna, cheese enchiladas. If cheese is involved, I can’t stop myself.

What do you like to do when you’re not writing?
Reading, of course J I also love to swim and hike. Living in Texas we have plenty of sunny days to enjoy. And I’ve recently started running. I don’t like it so much yet, but I’m hopeful.

Describe your perfect evening.
Being at home with my family and enjoying a great meal. Having a good stout on hand never hurts. I know, it sounds boring. But there’s usually so much craziness with the husband, two kids, and two dogs that it’s a blast.

Where’s the one place in the world you’d like to visit?
Spain. It looks so beautiful and laid back that I’ve always wanted to go.

Favorite swear word?
Fuck!

Favorite food?
Cheese…. Mmmmm……

Do you have any pets?
I have two dogs. One is a fifteen-year-old whippet named Chase and one is a five-year-old terrier mix named Yin that we just rescued about five months ago. They’re a crazy mix-Chase is all laid back and lazy and Yin is crazy and loves to chew on all things that look like electrical cords-but I love them.
Thanks for stopping by, Chandra! 

And now, Darlings, at ease while you enjoy an excerpt from “Extreme Circumstances”

About Extreme Circumstances
Julian hadn’t wanted to become a genetically enhanced soldier. His father, the colonel, expected it. But when he sees his commanding officer for his first mission, he admits there might be some perks. Commander Gates is a wet dream wrapped up in a standard-issue military uniform.

He knows better than to screw around with an officer though. The last thing he wants is the complication of a relationship. But when the mission goes sideways and soldiers start dying, he realizes sex might be the best way to simplify things, especially given the scorching encounters Gates provides. A relationship though? They’ll have to survive the mission before they can worry about that.

Inside Scoop: Gates and Julian share some super-hot male/male action on a planet where gruesome monsters deal out grisly death.

 http://www.ellorascave.com/extreme-circumstances.html

“I’m sorry?” Gates’ voice held more challenge than apology however.

“We’ve come up against some weird shit on this planet. Still, what could take out an entire group of enhanced soldiers?” He looked around them into the jungle as he spoke. “It looked as if three of them died in the landing. Okay. I get it. Sometimes transport is dangerous. But Diller found five of them dead just forty yards away. They were the best of the best and they barely made it off their shuttle.”

“My best guess is that the military chose a poor landing site and underestimated the manpower needed for their mission. Looks as though both flaws were corrected with us.”

“No, there’s more going on here. I can feel it. What are we dealing with, sir?” he pressed again.

Gates ran his fingers through his hair in apparent frustration. “I don’t have the answers you’re looking for. I got the same file the rest of you did.”

“And you’re okay with that?” He realized that Gates didn’t have the luxury of being okay with any of this. They were soldiers with orders. But he couldn’t stop the question. “Chances are, some team is going to be identifying my corpse in a couple months time. I’d like to know what I’m walking into my own death for. What merits the sacrifice of two enhanced teams?”

Gates grabbed Julian’s chin and forced him to meet his gaze as he took a step closer. “You aren’t going to die.” The warmth of his breath caressed Julian’s skin as he spoke.

He pulled back from Gates’ touch. It was too much. He already had a hard time being alone with the object of his wet dreams. After the stress of the last week, he didn’t think he could handle much more contact from the man without snapping and doing something unthinkable. “Thanks for the morale boost, boss.” Even Julian could hear the dry bitterness in his voice.

“What the hell does that mean?”

“I’m not the rookie you keep trying to make me out to be. This may be my first mission with your team but I have been around the block a time or two. I know that, as my commander, it’s your job to tell me I’m not going to die. Kind of makes the words hollow when someone is being paid to say them.” He turned to leave but a hand on his shoulder stopped him. “Don’t touch me.” He tried to shrug Gates’ hand off but he held tight.

“You’re scared and stressed. Your adrenaline has been at peak levels for four days. And you’re having a hard time getting your hormones under control.” Gates pulled on Julian’s shoulder as he spoke, turning Julian to face him. “It’s your first time going through it. You are a rookie. But we’re all dealing with it. Snapping at each other is only going to make it worse.”

Every word Gates spoke was the truth but there was so much more. “That’s only part of the problem.” His nostrils flared as he pulled in harsh breaths. Gates was too close. And he was challenging Julian. Every atom in Julian’s body demanded he show dominance.

“We’re all dealing with it,” Gates repeated. As if hearing the words a second time would make a difference.

“I don’t think you have a fucking clue what I’m dealing with. If you did, you wouldn’t still be touching me, sir.”
~~~~~
Like what you’ve read so far? Find out what happens next. Buy Extreme Circumstances today from Ellora's Cave, Amazon and other fine eBook retailers
~~~~~



1 comment:

  1. Thanks so much for having me on your blog today :)

    ReplyDelete