"Gabrielle Holly spins her stories in a way that will take you on an emotional rollercoaster you'll never forget!"
~Paranormal Romance Junkies

Monday, March 24, 2014

Getting Personal With Author Jane Leopold Quinn



This week we’re Getting Personal with Author Jane Leopold Quinn. Jane stopped by to talk about the writing life and share an excerpt from her suspense/romance novel Lost and Found.

About Jane 
Jane Leopold Quinn is a multi-published, erotic romance author of M/F, M/M, F/F and ménage (M/F/M). She's written in contemporary, Western historical, fairy tale, and time travel. Her imagination was always fertile but became public when she began writing hot romance over a decade ago. Her main interest is writing, but creativity in authors isn't usually limited to writing. Other interests include building and decorating doll houses and miniature room boxes, as well as designing silk flower arrangements. She'd love to paint, but even her stick figures are unrecognizable. Alas—can't do everything. Of course, her characters can.


Connect with Jane
Web

http://www.janeleopoldquinn.com/
And now, let’s get personal with author Jane Leopold Quinn.

What’s the best part of being a writer?
Oh Lord, the best part of being a writer is writing.  It's an honor to belong to the centuries-long family of authors.   In the whole world, writers are such a small percentage of the population even though from our side of the net, it seems like there are a gazillion of us.  How many times have you heard someone say, "I could write a book."?  And how many times did they do it?   Well, we authors did it.  From beginning, middle, and end, we wrote a story.  And the greatest honor is to have the story out there in the world for others to enjoy.

What’s the most challenging part of writing erotic romance?
Getting over using certain words and descriptions of sexual acts again and again in writing stories.   I love it now, but boy, it was kind of hard to get used to.  When I wrote a scene where the villain tied up the heroine just so he could get some sleep, my first thought was "tied up"?  Where the heck did that come from?  What am I doing here?  I've since written actual love scenes with light bondage.  So, that's what I'm doing here!  The erotic words of love scenes have come so easily to me.  At the beginning, I was self-conscious about them but got over that real fast.  My process for those scenes is to have my music on, close my eyes, sway in my chair and type away.   There's no magic wand or way to create the scenes.  You have to take yourself out of your own reality and put yourself in the scene at the same time.  And I'll sheepishly admit that sometimes I've turned myself on in the process.  "Nuff said."  ;-)

What is your writing process?
Eek, writing process.  Over the years I've developed what I think is a process that works for me.  The idea comes to me, I create characters, I brainstorm their names and usually the title of the book comes to me around that time.  Then I generally start writing a couple of chapters in order to introduce me to the characters.  After that, I kind of hit the wall and have to get myself organized.  That's when I really start to plot and have developed a simple plot grid with four columns - Chapter, Scene Description, Sex (where I keep track of when they first kiss and do all that other stuff), and Notes.  That's it.  Just about everything can be covered by those four topics.   My best writing time has become the mornings.  If I'm not writing by about 9 am, after I get up between 5 and 6, it gets harder for me to put my nose to the proverbial grindstone.  And since I'm up so early, I turn off my laptop around 5 pm and that's it.  I keep loose track of words written per day but that's just because I'm slightly OCD and anal retentive and super organized.  I like to spend hours figuring out how long it takes me to write a story of a certain amount of words.  I have dozens of charts and spreadsheets keeping track of these things.  I love spreadsheets.  But thank God Excel does the mathematical formulas for me because my math skills are pitiful. 

What is your most current release and what is it about?
Lost and Found was released this February from Ellora's Cave.  I've been fascinated by small town stories for years, possibly because I grew up in one and yearn to return.  I've written several small town stories and others that take place in Chicago where I'm now living.  Lost and Found is the story of Marc, a Marine home on leave who is searching out the truth of his parents' deaths a decade before.  Their accident destroyed the life he knew and his response to that was to graduate high school and join the Marines.   The only woman for him, the only woman who could break through his mission and give him a reason to come back to town, Birchwood Falls, was a gorgeous, sexy jazz singer.   Phoebe was abandoned as an infant, finally adopted by a loving couple who recognized her talents, and only wants to be a famous singer in New York or Los Angeles.  Birchwood Falls is a nice town but too small for her goals.  Marc and Phoebe lost so much in their lives but found their greatest love in each other.

What do you like to do when you’re not writing?
I always think that I should take time for my main hobby but for a couple of reasons I don't.  First is that I always feel I should be writing.  The second is that my hobby is building and decorating doll houses and miniature room boxes.  At this point, we really have no more room in our 2 bedroom condo for more of either.  I have a doll house and a 2-story room box in the living room.  Four room boxes are hanging on the wall in the hallway to the bedrooms.  A 3-story room box is hanging in the kitchen.  And a room box is in the bedroom.  I have three projects in the wings but have no good place to put them.  I also love to create silk flower arrangements.  When I worked at the law firm, I made a new one every month to display on my desk.  The desk was located near a busy traffic area for people going to different departments and I always had tons of compliments.  When I retired, I brought everything home and they, like the room boxes, are all over our condo.  Every room, any flat surface.  ;-)  I always had dreams of selling these things and have names for my "companies."  For my silk flower arrangements, the company is "The Duchess Designs."  For miniatures, the name is "Havens by Jane."  I made and sold one arrangement to a lawyer.  That's it!  But that's what dreams are for.  Just to make you think you can do it.  Luckily, I'm selling my books so that dream has been fulfilled. 

Where’s the one place in the world you’d like to visit?
Pompeii.  I've always been fascinated by Roman ruins.  My first sight of real Roman ruins was in London and Bath.  That particular trip eventually brought about my debut novel Ancient Ties.  Here's the story about the creation of that book.  Many years ago, as a single woman, at the Roman Museum in Bath I took a photo of the tombstone of a Roman soldier. When the film was developed the edges of the stone were clear but the carving in the center was hazy. I told people that the soldier came out to meet me. A few years later I went back to the same museum with my new husband and took the same photo. Clear. I told people that the Roman soldier showed that he approved of my husband.  Spooky in a really sexy way.

I didn't begin writing at that point.  A few years later the story came to fruition in my mind.  It's the story of an Iowa school teacher who visits Bath, England, steps through the entry way of a 2nd Century Roman villa in ruins, and meets a Roman soldier.   Ancient Ties was born.   The book received 4-1/2 Stars and Top Pick from Romantic Times and many 5 star reviews.  That was a pretty high place to start and to live up to.  Unfortunately, Ancient Ties isn't available for sale at the moment but might be again soon.  Stay Tuned.

When the book was first released, I was in Germany with my husband and mother visiting my niece, her Army husband, and their three kids. Located near Stuttgart is Villa Rustica in Hechingen-Stein, Germany. I'd researched this 2nd C. villa for my hero Marek Benin Verus while writing the novel and was ecstatic to discover it was near to the U.S. military base at Stuttgart. On the hottest day of that year, my family and I drove to the villa and were the only people touring it that day. What a major thrill for me. I'd seen Roman ruins and antiquities in Bath (Aquae Sulis) where my story takes place, but this villa "took the cake." Another really wonderful happenstance was that on a distant mountain, you could see against the sky, an outline of a Medieval castle. Different ways of life separated by centuries and miles, but within sight of each other.  What an amazing sight.

So, this is a long way to say that I love Roman ruins and was in hog heaven when we visited Rome too some years ago.  I have more photos of the Coliseum and its arches upon arches upon arches.  Visiting Pompeii would put me back in hog heaven.  ;-)

Favorite swear word? 
The F-word!

Favorite food? 
Chocolate martinis - my favorite food of the gods.  ;-)
Thank for stopping by Jane!

And now, Darlings, pour yourself a chocolate martini (or just unwrap a truffle), put on some music and enjoy a taste of Lost and Found,

About Lost and Found
Hunky Marine Marc Rahn enlisted after his high school graduation to escape the pain of his parents’ fatal car wreck. Now on leave after eight years and multiple Middle East deployments, he returns to his small hometown to put to rest his suspicions that the “accident” might actually have been anything but.

What he doesn’t expect is an intriguing flash of a pierced nipple from a new neighbor on move-in day. The breast’s owner, Phoebe Barnes, is a beautiful young jazz singer who plans to make it big in the music business. Her early years in foster care made her hungry for attention and fame, and she’s out to achieve both at almost any cost.

Despite their differing paths, Marc and Phoebe quickly give in to the sizzling attraction between them. But will their passion turn deadly when the person who killed Marc’s family decides two murders might not have been enough?

A Romantica® suspense erotic romance from Ellora’s Cave

http://www.ellorascave.com/lost-and-found.html
Available Now from Ellora’s Cave

Phoebe was running on nervous energy by the time her nine o’clock set started at Marietty’s. Tonight was her Al Green cover night. She’d thought about the man across the street all day, especially after seeing him in the bookstore. On the way home, she’d stopped to talk to a couple of her neighbors. None of them knew anything about him.

Pouring herself into a red knit dress that displayed a generous portion of slim thigh, a feather boa angled diagonally across her breast to cover the nipple ring, she slid her feet into four-inch stilettos and did her slinky stroll onto the stage to the sound of applause. Boy, she loved that sound.

She never had stage fright. It was her second home—maybe really her first, the one place that completely suited her, where she was the center of attention with all eyes focused on her. And she gave her audience a show.

“Ain’t no sunshine…” With deep, earthy tones, she serenaded the microphone, her lips pursed as if kissing it. She wrapped one arm around her waist. Through narrowed eyes she saw him, big as life. Bigger. His shoulders filled the entryway as he paused there. His eyes met hers. She sang directly to him, her heart pounding, voice fraught with sensual resonance. The audience thought it was part of the song. There was no way of knowing what he thought.

Singing on automatic pilot, she watched his gaze roam every inch of her, stopping at the spots he’d surely seen this morning. Her pussy lips softened and prickled and her nipples pinged with anticipatory pleasure.

The song ended and all she could focus on was him. He was suddenly closer to the stage. He’d slipped down the side of the room and enveloped himself in a nearby dark alcove, never releasing her from his compelling gaze.

She felt an overwhelming frisson of something like fear. This had never happened before. She’d never had this primal of a reaction to a man. But then she’d never even seen a man who looked this raw. He was big and dark, his huge muscles bulging from under the sleeves of his T-shirt. Jeans hugged him like a second skin. She could almost feel the wet flat of his tongue circling her…

Then she froze. She was so wrapped up in the man she hadn’t noticed Butch Wilcox standing right beside him. Were they together? Was the hunk a cop too? Her heart did a little flip-flop. Any fantasy about the neighbor guy would have to be abandoned if he turned out to be anything like Butch Wilcox.

Oh God. Silence. Flicking a glance at the audience, it was as if they’d caught the interplay between the stranger and her. Face flaming, she felt sweat pop out on her upper lip. Get it together, girl!

He hadn’t moved. Didn’t give her any help. She was on her own. Summoning her long-practiced stage presence, she towed a tall stool toward the baby grand, her knees too rubbery to stand. Settling herself and leaning her elbow on the piano, she dove into the next number.

She sang the Al Green lyrics. “You’re my one desire…”

Being this “full of fire” for a stranger was a precarious development. It got worse. Singing about raging fires and getting next to him was not helping any. Finishing the last chorus brought her own silence and the audience’s stomping and applause. The stomping would be from her friends. She bowed her head, supposing it to be dramatic, but the truth was if she glanced up it would be at the man. If he was still there.

Get a fucking grip. Show some professionalism.

With her own exhortation, she lifted her chin and aimed a smile at Moira and Davy. Thank God for their support. Smiling more broadly, she included the rest of the audience, her eyes skipping over the dark corner. Except—too late. It was empty.

Disgruntled that she’d so completely lost her composure, she pulled herself together and blew kisses at the audience, murmured a husky thank-you into the mic and exited the stage. She had to get to the little corner in the back that was her dressing room, if you could call it that. The cramped bathroom used by male and female employees alike had the only walls.

She put everything she had in her into the next set. Performing was her life’s dream and she’d be damned if she’d let some man distract her. No one was going to ruin this for her.

She’d gone on a couple of dates with Butch, but wasn’t serious about him. Since he didn’t excite her, she recollected past boyfriends to inspire the lyrics of the rest of the songs. Anything to keep the neighbor hunk out of her mind. She didn’t even know his name, so how could she sing the blues about him?

After singing the final song and changing into jeans and a blouse, she joined her friends at their table. Moira handed her a glass of icy champagne. As Phoebe sipped slowly, the bubbles popped in her mouth and she focused only on that pleasure. Now that she could relax, she wondered if he were still here. For some reason she thought she could feel his presence and it was odd to have that sensation about a man she didn’t know.

“Congratulations Phoebs, you were great as usual.”

“Thanks, Davy.”

“You seemed to be looking at someone. Were you? Or looking for someone?”

She took a sip to avoid answering until she knew what she wanted to admit.

Davy continued. “There was a gorgeous guy standing down near the end of the bar. He’s the one I’d be singing to if I had the pipes. Too bad he was with that asshole Wilcox.”

“I saw them too,” Moira added, narrowing her eyes at Phoebe.

She sucked in a quick breath and could feel her cheeks flushing. Moira didn’t know anything about this morning. It was a hilarious story, so why hadn’t she told her friends? Her tongue stuck to the roof of her mouth. Okay, this is all overdoing it. She took a deep breath, surreptitiously glancing around the bar, especially toward the end of the bar toward that dark alcove.

Moira and Davy’s eyebrows lifted comically like a silent movie actor’s look of extreme surprise. Both looked past her, their mouths open in absolute astonishment. Prickles raced across her neck and down her spine. Heat. Her sixth sense said man. Not just any man. Suppressing a shiver, she took another deep breath—or tried to at least—and turned to look over her shoulder.

She looked right into a bulge pushing at the straining zipper placket of snug jeans encasing lean hips. Her heart faltered, skipping and racing beats combined.

~~~~~
Like what you’ve read so far? Find out what happens next. Buy Lost and Found today from Ellora’s Cave, Amazon, Barnes& Noble, All Romance eBooks and other fine eBook retailers
~~~~~


16 comments:

  1. Thanks for having me today, Gabrielle!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by and chatting, Jane. Come back any time! ♥

      Delete

    2. This is another great romance, Jane. Enjoyed the fun blog, too,
      Gabrielle and Jane.
      Hugs, Jeanmarie

      Delete
    3. Thanks for stopping by, Jeanmarie!

      Delete
  2. Thank you, Jeanmarie, for commenting. Chocolate martinis for All! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great excerpt, Jane. Fun to get to know you. Chocolate Martini's sound decadent.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for commenting, Sandy. And yes, a chocolate martini is truly decadent and wonderful. I'm a vodka tonic girl and since it's made with vodka instead of gin, I'm there. But you have to watch out. The real deal is made with the liquor and cream or whipped cream. That's my kind. They can be made with just the vodka and crème de cacao but it's the cream that makes is spectacular. ;-)

      Delete
    2. Hi Sandy, Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  4. What a fun interview. After you visit Pompeii will you write a story set there?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Only if my Roman soldier "visits" me again. ;-) There's a movie out now called Pompeii but I don't think I can see it. I'm not into the horror of it, but on the other hand, seeing how they recreate the city.

      Delete
    2. Hi Linda, Let's hope Jane's Roman soldier visits her soon!

      Delete
    3. Wait just a minute! This might annoy my husband. ;-) He doesn't really know the connection I had with my soldier. I was single when I first met him (Marek, the soldier). Funny story: Marek's name came from a Latin version of Dimitri Marick's name from All My Children. And Marek's son is Leonidas, named after Leo du Pres played by the gorgeous Josh Duhamel.

      Delete
  5. Great excerpt! I love how you write with so much emotion.

    There is something about those Roman men. Oh, heck most of the men from the northern Mediterranean countries have that special, extra sexy way about them. (Don't know about the southern ones haven't had much contact with them.)

    Keep writing, and I'll keep reading!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, E! Russell Crowe in "Gladiator" was my inspiration for Marek.

      Delete
  6. I love small towns. They are the reason I live where I do and why I grew up in a perfect place. I write about them now. I love the story for Lost and Found. Marc sounds amazing. I wish you luck Jean and I'm glad to see that other authors love writing stories like I do!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Melissa. Years and decades ago, I couldn't wait to get out of my hometown, Dubuque, and move to Chicago. Now I'd love to move back if I could get my hubby to agree. He's a Chicago boy through and through.

      Delete